Sentence Building – Level 5 Student Book
This student book includes oral, kinesthetic, and written practice for students to acquire more mature and diverse sentence patterns. When students complete 2-3 lessons per week for 15 weeks, their performance on benchmark writing tests, end-of-grade extended writing responses, and in their independent writing show significant growth.
Note – Student books are consumable. These Sentence Building lessons are also available online.
I like diagramming sentences, but Sentence Building is better. It’s more like writing. I try to use the
Combined sentences in my stories and reports. Mr. Leggett has us combine sentences when we
revise our long reports. It was easy and really made my report easy to read.
– Saari H., Grade 5 student
Sentence Building 5 includes practice creating the following sentence patterns.
- Interrogative, negative, passive, and imperative sentences
- Simple sentences with adverbs and adverb phrases
- Simple sentences with adjectives and adjective phrases
- Compound subjects in simple sentences
- Complex sentences with adjective clauses
- Complex sentences with adverb clauses
- Complex sentences with noun clauses
- Extensive practice building paragraphs: reordering sentences and identifying topic sentences
- Practice using new sentence patterns in Framed Drafts and independent writing.
Call 706-850-5854 for bundle pricing for schools, districts, and home-school associations.