W2Win Frequent Writing on Demand: Daily Writing to Learn the Curriculum homeschool package
This homeschool package provides a system for introducing and implementing 22 critical-thinking writing strategies. The strategies prompt students to analyze, compare, contrast, draw inferences, elaborate, explain relationships among key terms or analogies, reason logically, support claims, or synthesize ideas. They help students of all abilities solidify and boost learning in the core curriculum: ELA, math, science, and social studies.
The teacher manuals include:
- a script of key practices for each writing strategy
- teacher models of writing
- student exemplars
- sample scope and sequence of writing prompts for core subjects
- templates for making posters – Guide for Writing to Learn (grades K-2); Log of Entries (K-2); picture makers, picture killers (K-12), and voice, pictures, and flow (K-2).
My students remind me that they need to write in their purple W2Win books every day. They find the strategies of the writing prompts engaging and eagerly use the key terms I provide from class lessons or reading texts.
– J. Mellencamp, 1st grade teacher
Daily Writing to Learn the Curriculum – primary teachers manual (grades K-2) – includes 22 critical-thinking strategies for Writing on Demand.
A. What I Thought You Taught – analysis and synthesis
B. Acrostic Vocabulary – concept acquisition, inductive learning
C. Either … Or – compare-contrast, logical reasoning
D. Focused Free Writing – open-ended
E. Quad Cluster – compare-contrast, logical reasoning
F. Memory Sentence – recall, elaborating/explaining, mental chunking
G. Copy and Continue – summarizing
H. Change the tense/number – role switching
I. Admit Slip – open-ended
J. Sentence Expansion – expanding, elaborating
K. Free Writing – open-ended
L. Analogy – one-to-one correspondences, parallel relationships
M. Miscellaneous strategies from other sources
Strategies for beginning writers
N. Remember Game – recall, summary
O. Story Reporting – recall, summary, synthesis
P. Framed Stories – expanding, elaborating, mental chunking
Q. Sentence Dictation – recall, mental chunking
R. Sentence Stems – recall,
Strategies for building basic language skills
S. Rewrite Passage – clarifying, mental chunking, revising
T. Spelling Word Stories – creating, inventing
U. Slotting – modifying, specifying
V. Sentence Combining – clarifying, mental chunking, patterning
The student book includes:
- 45 pages for short-writing entries
- 22 critical-thinking strategies
- A rubric for student self-assessment at the bottom of each page
- Section of the rubric for a PAL’s check and response
- A Guide for Writing to Learn (22 critical-thinking strategies)
- 3 Log of Entries pages.
Printed student books come 2 to a pack.
Call 706-850-5854 for bundle pricing for schools, districts, and home-school associations.